Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Sharing Haiti...

If you've spent any time with me in the past 6 years, you know that I LOVE to talk about Haiti. (A friend is trying to convince me that we "love" people and "like" things...she has a lot of work to do in order to convince me on a few things...talking about Haiti is one of the "things" that I LOVE)

This past weekend I took a little trip down to Southwest Missouri where I used to work. In fact, I was able to see some of the first people who supported my endeavors in Haiti and share updates about what the Haiti Mission Project has been doing. In the past 5 years the Haiti Mission Project has come a long way! It's fun to see growth. It's also fun to see friends and loved ones. Thank you to everyone who let me share about Haiti this past weekend, especially those who have listened to me talk for hour and hours, and still are willing to listen!


I'll share a quick story...My trip had many highlights, but I'd like to share this one! My Godson Lucas and I got to spend a day together. Lucas turned five last month and is a pretty cool kid! His parents do a great job raising him and he's growing up to be one smart little cookie. He knows all about how his "Auntie Rae-Rae" works in Haiti and was really interested in what was going on there after the earthquake. He also knows that I am going to live there for a while, and I was telling him how I would be working at a place where there were lots of little boys and girls around his age without parents. He thought that would be a fun place to visit and find people to play with. As we were running errands later in the day we walked past a toy section. Of course he was drawn in by the Batman and Superhero section. Since his 5 year birthday present is somewhere in my storage...somehwere...I told him he could pick out any toy he wanted and I would get him one for his birthday. He walked the aisles and kept saying, "You know what I think? I bet the kids in Haiti would like to have this. Let's get this for the kids in Haiti." When he finally settled on a padded Batman hockey set he tried his hardest to convince me to buy them all so, "ALL the kids in Haiti can have one Auntie Rae-Rae!" After convincing him there was no way I could fit them in my luggage, I was able to get him to move on!

I love watching other people get involved in Haiti. I love to see other people fall in love with the people of Haiti, and it's great to see people, young and old, think of ways to love their neighbors all around the world!

Here is the video I shared with people this weekend. A guy with the Haiti Mission Project put it together and it shows some of the people we work with in Haiti. You may have seen it before...enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Love the video! I can't wait to hear more about your time in Haiti. First of all, though: when do you leave? who will you be staying with? what will you be doing? when can I come to visit???

    I pray for you every day. God is going to do amazing things through you.

    Jamie

    ReplyDelete