Monday, November 8, 2010

Sanctuary...

You know...sometimes life is surrounded by chaos here. Tonight I was reading reports of cholera spreading all over the country. We just had a hurricane dump rain on most of the country and tear apart homes and lives in other parts. And now...more cholera. Seriously. Sometimes I wonder how much people can endure.

It's easy to look around here and see the harsh reality that makes life hard for so many people. And yes...I realize that I have NO idea what most people go through here on a daily basis. I have a comfortable bed, pillows, clean sheets, three meals a day, indoor plumbing, showers whever I want, electricity, soap, and coca cola! But I have eyes that see, and ears that hear.

Sometimes it is easy to look around and only see the hard stuff. And yet, I see so much beauty. Tonight I am sitting on my porch. The temperature is really comfortable. I have wireless internet that let's me write this here. In the distance I can hear a church and her people singing. I sang a bunch of babies to sleep. And it's in those moments that you realize that there really is a sanctuary where you can go and rest. Tonight I can relax here...tonight I can sleep peacefully.

Today has been a hard day for me. Trying to work in the midst of Haiti, and still try to communicate to people that things here and things other places work VERY differently. I've been angry, sad, happy, upset, frustrated, joyful....all sorts of things today. I'm missing my loved ones...a lot.

And yet...there is rest...there is sanctuary.

Tomorrow I take 10 kids for a bunch of medical tests...better get some sleep!

2 comments:

  1. May the peace that passes your understanding continue to keep your heart and mind in Him in an ever increasing way. God is good and faithful. All praise to our Father, the Sanctuary, the Strong Tower, the comforter of our souls. Sleep well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rachel, you amaze me. Stay strong my friend. I am so excited for you that your brother is coming to visit!
    Love you dearly!
    Jo

    ReplyDelete