Monday, October 4, 2010

And sometimes things work…

Sometimes things are hard here, and it can sometimes take ages to accomplish what you think is a simple task. But, sometimes things work out! Today seemed to be the day where things were working out! We went to the Immigration/Emigration offices again today and we got the passport for little Carly! Three weeks later, but we got the passport!!! I’m hoping that everything goes right and we are able to pick it up from the offices next Monday like they said we could. This is a huge blessing. It has been a long, frustrating 3 weeks trying to work our way through whatever system there was, but there is more than a little bit of joy at having almost finished the task.

I was also able to pick up test results for the little boy we had tested for HIV. I have his full medical analysis in my hands and I’m now able to send it on to the adoption agency we work with. He also tested negative for many other illnesses, and for that we are grateful!
The transformer is in and working, tonight we’ll wait and see if the city electric comes on! If it does, we’ll have lights and fans without having to run the generator! This is also great news, because it costs us about 35 dollars a day to run the generator.

I also got to stop by the Lutheran church where I worship while I am in Haiti. It’s not very close to where I’m living right now and I haven’t been up there yet. I plan to be there for worship this Sunday, and I am so excited to be back there. When I walked through the door the first person I saw was Elucie…I hugged her and got to see all the work they’ve been doing on the part of the building that fell in the earthquake. It looks great…really really great.

I was then able to direct my driver through Port Au Prince to a “suburb” where my friend Joanna is working. Navigating PAP is not like driving in the states. You’re lucky if you find street signs, the traffic is almost always horrid, and the roads are terrible most of the time. The fact that I could give directions anywhere means that I’ve been here long enough to figure a thing or two out. This is VERY exciting for me…next step is driving in the city. Maybe I’ll give it another week or two before I try that! I did however get a SWEET sunburn on my arm that was on the window side of my seat. The sun was hot today and it burned my one arm. It’s going to look awesome having one dark arm and one pasty white arm, but today was super productive and a sunburnt arm in a price I am willing to pay!

4 comments:

  1. Sounds as if you had a great day! What good news about Carly's passport. That has to be a huge burden off your shoulders.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful news! Your advocacy for this little girl is inspiring, Rachel. Looking forward to seeing you Saturday! A bientot a la belle etoile avec Judy, moi et vous. RB

    ReplyDelete
  3. good to hear. I love checking things off a list. Great job. Press on!

    ReplyDelete
  4. YOU ROCK!!!!! can't wait to be there with you, Abby

    ReplyDelete